Apache Spark is an open-source, distributed, general-purpose cluster-computing engine for large-scale data processing. In the enterprise, Spark typically runs on Hadoop and is supported by Amazon EMR, Google Cloud Dataproc, and Microsoft Azure HDInsight, and others, which helps businesses easily, quickly, and cost-effectively implement data processing solutions.
Magnitude understands the consistent demand of the Spark data processing solutions in enterprises and offers a high performing Simba Spark ODBC connector to access Spark data and analyze it in the preferable BI tool.
In this blog we will guide you on how to install and configure the Simba Spark ODBC driver in 3 easy steps:
- Download and install the Simba Spark ODBC driver.
- Add the license.
- Configure the Simba Spark ODBC driver.
Let’s dive deeper into each step.
1. Download and install the Simba Spark ODBC connector.
1. Choose the platform on which you will run your installation before accessing the form. For our example, we will use the Windows version. After downloading the connector, double click the MSI file to install it.
Note: You will need administrative privileges to install the driver.
2. Click NEXT to accept the licensing agreement
Tip: Check if the program you will use the driver with is a 32- or 64-bit. Successful installation requires that you match the bitness of the connector with the bitness of the program. If you are not sure how to figure it out – take a look at our FAQ.
3. Click NEXT to provide the directory where you’ll install the driver:
4. Click INSTALL to proceed to installation
5. Let the installer complete the installation and click “Finish.”
2. Add the license.
Once you have installed the connector, verify that the license file is in the correct location. It must be in the [INSTALL_DIRECTORY]/lib folder where the connector has been installed.
NOTE: The license file is sent via email after you submit the download request form. If you have not received the license, check your junk folder.
3. Configure the Simba Spark ODBC driver
1. Click SEARCH and go to ODBC Administrator
2. Click on the System tab and look for the Simba Spark ODBC DSN. Select it and select CONFIGURE to go to the Simba Spark ODBC DSN setup window.
Note: In this example, we will use System DSN. If you do not administrative privileges you can choose User DSN tab.
3. In the DSN you will need to adjust all settings appropriate to your case.
NOTE: For the detailed configuration options and settings please see our documentation.
4. Test your connection:
When you have completed your configuration click TEST
Connection test is successful!
Now, click OK on the test window and on the DSN setup window to save your configuration.
If your test did not succeed, check your configuration and try again. If you ran into trouble installing and configuring your connector, check out the installation guide and our FAQ, or contact our solution engineering team.
As you have successfully installed, configured and tested your driver connection with Simba Spark ODBC connector you can now test access to Spark data in any BI tool.